Saturday, July 27, 2013

Sunday 6/15/13

Today was celebration Sunday. Celebration Sunday is when most or all of the house congregations gather together and celebrate the wonderfulness of God. Due to Celebration Sunday falling on Father's Day and that there are members that live really far from where the meeting was, there were more Americans present than Peruvians. The similarities of these house congregations gathering together to worship like how we do in the states is a lot of singing, there is praying, scripture reading, and communion. The differences is that the following three things are integrated into worship service such as: children's worship service, lunch and sharing with the group what the Lord's Supper mean to them. It had a family feel to the service which I very much appreciated.

Later that Sunday night Megan suggested we began a group devotional/share time with those that lived in the McKinzie's household. Without sharing what was shared I appreciated how seemingly appropriate and sincere Greg and Megan were when they shared. I was especially surprised that Greg shared as much given his disposition that is obviously misunderstood. Greg does not do or say things just to say them (which I appreciate because you can almost always trust that he means what he says and does). The missionaries appear to be aware and be caring of the members in their church group.

Greg and Megan shared the frustration they feel at times based on their concern with the decisions their members make. They also shared the lessons they have learned and are learning as they continue to grow and live in Peru. I found share time to be insightful as well as free flowing because although each person shared it still was conversational and intentional. After this particular Sunday night there will be devo's added to share night and it will focus on the book of 1 Peter. Sunday nights may become very interesting....

No comments:

Post a Comment