Today I saw a quote that was posted by a friend "I am a perfectionist with a procrastination complex." When I read that quote it resonated with me because I know I can be a perfectionist and sometimes perfectionism takes a lot of work and time I then avoid it thus me becoming a procrastinator. Another aspect is that if I do not get things the way I want or it does not turn out the way I wish it to I then become apathetic. Would I then be an apatheticist? (lol I know this is not a real word.)
Any who when it comes to my learning of Spanish I am not able to get things right nor am I picking up on the language as quick as I think I should. It also does not help when I feel that I am getting mixed signals. Verbally I hear, "Learning a new language is like a baby learning how to speak, it takes time." However I receive through actions "You should be getting this quicker now." Due to the mixed signals I perceive to be receiving I push myself to a limit, get frustrated when it does not seem that there is much improvement and then become apathetic. #Pride #FearofFailure
As I reflect on these feelings I think about how I interact with those that are learning English or where English is not there first language and are still struggling. I would say that I am pretty patient however I will be more aware of the signals I send because the slightest hint of frustration or impatience can be very discouraging to people. I believe this same practice can be applied to new babes (converts) to Christ. As older or more seasoned Christians, we should be patient and not expect a 180 in a new convert from when they are baptized to a year.
Now do not get me wrong I know there should be some significant changes and attempts to purge from bad habits however it takes time and it is difficult. More than anything we should be supportive, encouraging and available to new converts. There are too many times when "church people" (which are different from Christians, but that's another post) have unrealistic expectations and push new converts to be a certain way. From what I have seen, heard this causes new converts to put on a good show while at church but they are suffering and more lost than ever because they want to share their struggles with people they can confide in but are afraid of being ostracized or being a disappointment. Therefore they play the Christian role at church but their lives are a mess and others that are not Christians see this dual lifestyle and think "what's the point?"
In conclusion, whether we are dealing with new babes in Christ, people learning a new language, culture or we are the ones that are learning there should be an amount of patience, forgiveness, grace, empathy and respect to get through the process. My Spanish experience related to new converts is quite a stretch but now as I am re-reflecting it helps me remember what I have learned and how I can apply that to different facets of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment