Earlier today was an Orientation us interns- (Kayla, Lissette, Parker and myself) at the Smith's house. During orientation I began to think a few things: I was well trained by my World Wide Witness Professors: Larry and Gary; having a Trinidadian background; being raised by Georgia Davis and living in New York City.
HEALTHY EXPECTATIONS
The first aspect of the orientation, was about the realistic and unrealistic expectations of the internship such as: being learners and servants and not expecting to come and fix. Larry and Gary did a great job at making sure that as new missionaries, we have a humble spirit to learn from the missionary hosts and to learn from our experiences and not to have a condescending/arrogant attitude about coming to help because we are so much "better". This was all covered during our orientation today, so my mind and heart was already in the "right" place. I am aware that while I am here I am not going to evangelize and "fix" people, the blessing will be engaging with new people from a different culture and prayerfully through exchange we can impact one another's lives in a positive way.
SOCIAL INTERACTION/CULTURE
The conversation about Peruvian culture reminded me of the rules I grew up with and my interaction with my Trinidadian family when I was young. Here in Peru when you walk into a room of people you must greet EVERYBODY, even if there is a meeting or a middle of a church service. One thing I remember from my childhood is coming into a room of Trinidadians speaking with a lot of energy and passion (loudly ;-) ) and me only greeting the people I knew and felt comfortable with. Well this was a BIG NO NO in Trinidadian culture, especially if these people were family, at bare minimum acknowledge the people in the room going and coming. In Trinidad and in Peru it is imperative to greet EVERYONE when you enter into a function as well as say goodbye.
Another fact that makes total sense is that you don't go into a Peruvians kitchen, fridge, or walk around their house without asking them or being invited into that part. It is considered intrusive to ask questions about a persons personal life, especially, in the beginning of the friendship. When I was listening to this section of the internship I was like, "What in the Georgia Davis?" I felt that what I was being told was basically common sense because of the way I was raised in my house by Georgia Davis, and I appreciate her and her rules more as I mature and proceed in life. My mother does not like it when people come into her house and just walk around without asking. I was trained to always ask for everything and not to be intrusive and not to be intruded on. Thanks mom!
SAFETY
New York City in the 80's, prior to Mayor Juliani's mission to clean up NYC, can be compared to Arequipa's current state and the safety measures that needs to be taken. For instance:
- being aware of who is around you and if they are following you
- keeping your items in safe/secure places because you will get pick-pocketed especially, on crowded combie's (public buses)
- they will kidnap you in shady taxis (maybe not so much NYC)
- Red Zone's (legal prostitution)
- debit machines are set up to copy card information and will have your card information
- they will grab your butt
- prostitutes are aggressive (they will pull you and let you know they are open for business)
REFLECTION
During orientation I had to make sure that I kept my pride in check due to the reasons I mentioned above: great training by wonderful professors, how I was raised and where I was raised. As I was listening to our missionary hosts talk about American culture verses Peruvian culture, I am affirmed in my theory that American culture is not as generalized as most think especially, those from different geographical locations, ethnic and socio-economical backgrounds. I say this because some of the American attributes that was stated I did not identify with and not how I was raised. Peruvian culture reminds me of West Indian, Middle class African Americans, and other cultures of color I have interacted in. Mind you I am very aware that this does not mean I know all that I need to know, because I do not. However I am interested in traditions and social etiquette and how it is influenced by culture and ethnicity.
No comments:
Post a Comment