Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The Bare Minimum: My Traveling Suitcase

I have been in Arequipa for approximately six days without my luggage. That's right! I have been utilizing the minimal clothes that I had in my book bag and my checked on duffle bag. My luggage decided to go to Texas without me and is now currently in Lima, Peru. At one point I thought she, my luggage, decided to travel the world without me. If you are keeping up with my Facebook page "Morena in the City", my missing luggage will explain why it seems like I am wearing the same round of clothes or why my days seem much longer than they are..



I was very proud of myself because the old Gerina would have been stressed and pissed about not having 90% of my things, however I am learning that things are just things and that I can function (quite well actually)  and be content with what I have. Thank you Holy Spirit for preparing me for this experience. The level of humility and good naturedness that I have exerted is surprising to me and that is when I know the peaceful spirit from the God head is in me. My fellow intern, Lisette, has allowed me to borrow sleeping clothes, as well as a shirt to add to the two polos that I have. Larissa Smith, one of the other missionaries, gave me the hygiene products that I did not have recently, but prior to that I was doing quite well anyway.

Yesterday and today I began to get a bit antsy but not longer than 5 min at a time and then I am so engaged with what is going on around me and the people that I forget all over again. It makes me think about how disgustingly obsessed Americans and some other cultures can be about "stuff". There is so much more to life.
I am living and understanding the scripture that states (and I paraphrase loosely), "Do not worry about what you will eat, or wear because the birds and flowers are taken care of daily, so why would we expect God our Father to treat us any differently?

I am grateful for the what I do have and the kindness of those that have been bestowed to me. Such as Kyle Smith, Larissa's husband, that has been my advocate with the airlines since I am unable to speak Spanish.

Hopefully, my luggage will decide to make a fashionably late appearance in Arequipa  within the next 2-3 days.

1 comment: